Thursday, October 7, 2010


She is 8 1/2 months old & we made her 2nd emergency room visit, though it counts as her 4th trauma. When I wouldn't play with her anymore yesterday afternoon, because silly me, I thought I should do some homework!, she went on a little scavenger hunt in the front room. This is what she found:

I'd had 1 piece previously, she took the rest. THE WHOLE PACKAGE. The trick with sugar-free gum is that it contains Xylitol, which just happens to be highly toxic to dogs. She ingested 23 pieces in record time. So we flew down to the emergency room & they were ready for us. The doc came & got her from me before I'd even started any of the paperwork! That made me nervous...

She's home safe & sound today, though she had to stay the night under their watchful eyes & care. All the staff loved my adorable girl, I think they were sad to see her leave...until she started making a racket in the waiting room barking at all the other dogs. Why won't her owner teach her some manners all ready?!

1 comment:

Matt and Autumn Stone said...

oh no!!! I had no idea that was toxic for dog- good to know! We had to take Bud to the Er once and it cost an arm and a leg! Hopefully you got a better deal with your multiple visits :)